Priceline has provided a new feature to get discount hotel rooms called PriceBreakers. I made a tool for Revealing PriceBreaker and Express Deal Hotel Names. Even though they say you could get any of the three hotels, from the moment the collection is created it can be easily determined which of the three is the hotel you will end up booking. In the end, Price Breakers are not functionally different from express deals.
The premise of the PriceBreakers system is that you get a lower price on the hotel, but you don’t know the name of the hotel until after you book. However Priceline limits the potential hotels to three then you have a closer idea of which hotel you will get. Rarely there are very good deals where you can save a significant amount. Most of the time you will only save a few bucks.
If you think you are most likely to get the cheapest or lowest rated of the three hotel options then you are correct about 90% of the time. The other 10% of the time is where the good deals are. I’m not sure if the Price Breaker comes from different inventory from the Express deals. From my analysis of when Priceline has provides Express deals and PriceBreaker deals for the same hotel, the savings have been basically identical. Although it might be possible a hotel will only have a deal for one or the other. In this regard you should treat PriceBreakers as an extension of Express deals, if you find a good deal for a hotel in either then you could book it without needing to find the corresponding deal in the other.
Priceline still has good deals available and I recommend you find the rare very good deals which can be up to 50% off. But it can take some effort revealing all the hotel names before you find a good deal. For some dates and cities it is less likely to find good deals so you might only be able to save a few dollars. That’s unfortunately a nature of the business. If you’re looking for a cheap hotel on a weekend when a lot of people will be in town, you are unlikely to find any deals at all.